Friday, February 24, 2012

Ah Lee Corso, will you ever win?

I admit, I love Lee Corso so I am going to take this latest blurb with a grain of salt. At the Doak Walker Awards, Mr. Corso was asked about former University of Texas quarterback Garrett Gilbert, and how he will fare at SMU, Corso said he would probably receive better coaching at SMU than at Texas. The first thought I had, of course, was WTF? Seriously though, Gilbert will most likely fit in with the Mustangs' offense. Because the SMU Mustangs are less high profile than Texas, he probably will grow by leaps and bounds. I am all for it. I hope he does well, I really do. What I don't get is this: Why would Lee Corso take a shot at the Longhorns, not to mention their coaching staff, for no reason? I think that Lee Corso sometimes has no filter. It is part of what makes him special and entertaining. Corso must know that coming into a high profile situation (like the quarterback position at Texas) is a challenge. Gilbert was trying to fill some very big shoes. I propose this: when you are the starting quarterback at The University of Texas, you better be able to take the pressure. You have to be prepared mentally and physically because no one is going to hold your hand. If you choose to step into that spotlight, you have to deliver. So, yes, he may get a little more "hand holding" at SMU than he did at Texas, and that's fine. I know this for sure: when you put on the burnt orange and white, you are expected to play at a higher level on the national stage, because this is TEXAS and it's no cake walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment